Our 6th assignment was was divided into two main parts, the latter of which would be a joint project with the Authoring Principles module. The first part was to create a logo & identity strategy for a fictional company from a choice of three.
My choice of company was “Sound State”, which had the following description:
Sound State is a soon-to-launch independent music label for aspiring new artists. An integral aim of the company is to find and sign-up the best up-and-coming talent. They require an identity that is fresh and current and communicates to music industry professionals and musicians alike. Consider how the brand might use its online presence to achieve its core aims and objectives.
My first step was to research imagery associated with the phrase “Sound State”. I then looked at different types of typography & uses of the letter S in other brands & logos, as seen below:
At this stage I had a few ideas for what route I would take with the design of the logo & wanted to explore the idea of colour I had in my head at this point. The below images best illustrate the colours & feelings I had in mind:
I then began sketching out basic ideas for the logo based on the items of research which interested me most. Vibrating strings, waves, and use of simple S shapes were all areas I looked at while sketching, as shown below:
At this stage I decided to play around more with the ying/yang symbol as I felt I could achieve an interesting juxtaposition of the separate “Sound” & “State” ideas by using this symbol. The final sketches & first digital concepts created in Adobe Illustrator (Ai) are shown below:
I received feedback from classmates & the module lecturer at this stage. People very much liked the use of the ying/yang symbol overall but the main point of concern was that the treatment of the “Sound State” text, especially how easy/ difficult it would be to read if the S shape in the symbol was used as the beginning of the word “Sound”.
Interestingly, someone pointed out that the black, red & yellow Ai concept on the top right reminded them a little of the Toucan from the old Guinness ads! Happy coincidence!
I developed the concepts a little further at this stage until I was happy with a strong final logo.
The finished deliverables for part 1 of this brief are shown below.
Again, I feel I didn’t quite give myself enough time with this assignment, resulting in a particularly stressful few days in the run up to the submission date!! However, overall I was happy with the logo & identity I had created for “Soundstate”. I was also happy that I had learned how time-consuming & intensive the process is to achieve a successful final design. Yet more lessons learned!!
The second phase of the project would build on the work carried out so far.